(January 2017-Present) Senior Lecturer II at the Institute of Islamic Studies (IIS) and the Center for International Studies (CIS) of the University of the Philippines, Diliman. My contributions to the university are as follow:
– Graduate courses taught are ‘IS 231 – Islamic Political Thought’ and ‘IS 225 – History of Islam’ for 2nd semester 2016-2017 at IIS.
– Taught six sessions of undergraduate course on ‘Global Studies 197 – Kebab, Charlie, Burkini, and Hijab: Islam in Contemporary Europe’ for 2nd semester 2016-2017 at CIS.
– Resource speaker on contemporary ummah held for the 1st International Conference on History of Islam and Contemporary Society at Balay Kalinaw, UP Diliman, on December 08, 2016.
– Contributor of the 1st phase of workshop on IIS Curricular Development on 9-10 Sept. 2016 at Romulo Hall, UP.
– Reviewer of a UP System Grant Proposal on “Discourses on Islam and the Muslim World Today” requested by Maria Fe B. Seares, in behalf of Dr. Armando S. Somintac of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Development (OVCRD), on June 07, 2016.
– Public lecturer on Muslim governance and nation-state on May 20, 2013 and August 13, 2015 at IIS, UP Diliman.
(November 2016-Present) Associate Professorial Lecturer V at the College of Political Science and Public Administration of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Manila. My contributions to the university are as follow:
– Undergraduate courses taught are ‘POSC 3213 – Special Topics in International Politics’ for 2nd semester 2016-2017 and ‘POSC 3073 – Introduction to International Relations’ for 1st semester 2017-2018.
(August 2016-Present) Professorial Lecturer IV at the Department of International Studies of Far Eastern University, Manila. My contributions to the department and university are as follow:
– Organizer of the workshop on ‘Exploring the Global South Contributions in International Relations’ co-sponsored by PhISO, ISA Global South Caucus, and FEU IS department. It will be held at FEU on 09-10 March 2017.
– Organizer of the first-ever international academic conference dedicated to the field of International Studies in the Philippines. It is co-sponsored by PHISO and FEU IS department, and to be held at FEU on 08-10 March 2017.
– Undergraduate courses taught are ‘IS 13 – Special Problems on International Relations’ and ‘IS 24 or Issues and Trends in International Studies’ for 2nd semester 2016-2017.
– Supervised two undergraduate theses: (1) From German Antisemitism to American Islamophobia; and (2) Europeanizing Turkey, 1923-38
– Undergraduate courses taught are ‘IS 1 or Introduction to International Studies’ and ‘IS 18 or Politics and Government of the Middle East’ for 1st semester 2016-2017.
– Organized, together with the department, the lecture of Turkish Ambassador, Esra Cankorur, held on Nov. 14, 2016.
– Endorsed by the President of FEU, Dr. Michael M. Alba, for the ‘CHED Support for Presenting a Paper in an International Conference’ on November 03, 2016.
– Organized, together with the department, and moderated the second Middle East forum entitled ‘Turkey and the World’ held on August 31, 2016.
– Organized, together with the department, and moderated the first Middle East forum entitled ‘IR and the Geopolitics of Gulf States’ held on August 11, 2016.
– Contributor for the faculty development program on 28 July 2016 and talked about the content and structure of International Studies curriculum.
– Public lecturer on Muslim governance and nation-state on 01 September 2015.
(September 2015-Present) Founder and Chair of the Publications Committee of the Philippine International Studies Organization (www.PHISO.org). Registered, with no. CN201606553 and TIN 009262446, at the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Republic of the Philippines. My contributions to the organization are as follow:
– Co-editor of an on-going book project on Philippine IR.
– Organizer of the PHISO section (composed of 3 panels, 9 paper presenters, and 1 roundtable) and 1-day PHISO workshop for the 5th Global International Studies conference to be held on March 30-April 03, 2017 at the National Taiwan University. The workshop is sponsored by the World International Studies Committee (WISC) and Taipei Economic and Cultural Office of the Philippines (TECO).
– Organizer of the 1st PHISO International Conference and PhISO-GSCIS Workshop to be held on 08-10 March 2017 in Manila, Philippines.
(November 2012-Present) Co-founder of International Relations and Islamic Studies Research Cohort (www.CoIRIS.org) and Co-editor of Islam and International Relations book series partnered with Gerlach Press, Germany. It was first founded by Nassef and was later joined by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Deina Abdelkader (University of Massachusetts Lowell) and Dr. Raffaele Mauriello (University of Tehran) in 2013 in Rapallo, Italy. My contributions to the research cohort are as follow:
– Co-editor of on-going 2nd comprehensive book on the study of Islam and IR to be published by Routledge’s Worlding beyond the West book series.
– Co-convener of a section for the 11th EISA Conference to be held on 13-16 September 2017 in Barcelona, Spain.
– Co-convener of Co-IRIS workshop for the 3rd European Workshops in International Studies held on 06-08 April 2016 at the University of Tübingen, Germany.
– Co-editor of the 1st comprehensive book on the study of Islam and IR published by Palgrave Macmillan.
– Co-convener of three Co-IRIS panels for the International Studies Association’s convention held on 18-21 February 2015 in New Orleans, USA.
– Co-convener of one Co-IRIS panel for the Italian Society for Middle Eastern Studies conference held on 16-17 January 2015 in Venice, Italy.
– Convener of one panel for the Middle Eastern Congress on Politics and Society held on 14-17 Oct. 2014 in Sakarya.
– Co-convener of one panel for the World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies held on 18-22 August 2014 in Ankara.
– Convener of one panel for the World Congress of Political Science held on 19-24 July 2014 in Montréal, Canada.
– Convener of two Co-IRIS panels held on 25-27 June 2014 in Ankara, Turkey.
– Convener of the 2nd Exploratory Symposia of European International Studies Association (EISA) held on October 30 to November 02, 2013 at Rapallo, Italy.
– Convener of the 7-panel section on Islam and IR at the 8th Pan-European Conference on IR held on 18-21 September 2013 at the University of Warsaw, Poland.
Academic Editorial Works
(2017-Present) Reviewer of Lux Veritatis: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies (Aquinas University of Legazpi, Philippines). See http://luxveritatis.aq.edu.ph/ for details.
(2017) Reviewer of the Millennium: Journal of International Studies (London School of Economics and Political Science, UK). See http://journals.sagepub.com/home/mil for details.
(2016) Associate Editor of Volume 6, Issue 4, of the International Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Society (Common Ground Publishing, Illinois, USA).
(2016) Associate Editor of Volume 16, Issue 4, of the International Journal of Community Diversity (Common Ground Publishing, Illinois, USA).
(2016-Present) International Editorial Board Member of the Philippine-based and CHED Accredited Research Journal, The Mabini Review (www.pup.edu.ph/research/publications/)
(2016) Reviewer, Special issue entitled ‘Empire, Shi‘ism and Iranism: Iran After the Sanctions’ for Geopolitica (i.e. the review of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Geopolitics and Auxiliary Sciences based in Rome, Italy). See www.geopolitica-rivista.org/
(2016-Present) Content Creator, Research and Content Development Department of the ASEAN Young Professionals Network (AYPN). See www.aseanyoungprofessionals.org/
(2014-2016) Former editor and alumnus of H-Nationalism, (www.networks.h-net.org/h-nationalism)
(2013-2017) Country Expert at V-Dem: Varieties of Democracy project, (www.v-dem.net)
(2012-Present) Associate Editor of Volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the Global Studies Journal (Common Ground Publishing, Illinois, USA)