Nassef is the founder of Co-IRIS (International Relations and Islamic Studies Research Cohort) and PHISO (Philippine International Studies Organization). Editor of the following international journals and book series:
– International Journal of Islam in Asia (Brill Publishers)
– Global South Journal of International Studies (work-in-progress)
– International Relations in Southeast Asia series (Routledge)
– Islam and International Relations series (Gerlach Press)
– Islam and Global Studies series (Palgrave Macmillan)
– Islam in the Philippines series (DLSU Publishing House)
– Islam in Southeast Asia series (Palgrave Macmillan)
Associate Editor of the Mathal: A Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Multidisciplinary Studies (The University of Iowa). He works on theoretical research between Islam and International Relations, Muslim governance in the Philippines, and political interaction of Muslim societies with Western modernity.
At the prestigious International Studies Association (ISA), he was elected as the At-Large Asia Representative of the Global South Caucus of International Studies (GSCIS) for 2018-2020 and appointed as one of the 7-committee members on the Status of Representation and Diversity (CSRD) for 2018-2021. He is a Chevening fellow at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (a royal chartered independent center recognized by the University of Oxford) from October 2018 to March 2019. Previously, he was a SUSI (Study of the United States Institutes) scholar on religious pluralism at The Dialogue Institute of the Temple University in Pennsylvania, USA, from June 24 to August 05, 2017, and a full bursary recipient of the online course on “Muslims and Jews: The Historical and Contemporary Encounter” provided by the WOOLF Institute in Cambridge, UK, from January 10 to June 29, 2011.
Nassef is assistant professor at the Institute of Islamic Studies (UP IIS), co-convenor of the Center for Integrative and Development Studies’ Islamic Studies Program (UP CIDS-ISP), and affiliate faculty member at the Center for International Studies (UP CIS) of the University of the Philippines Diliman. He is also a Professorial Lecturer of International Studies at Miriam College. The Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP) conferred him the Professorial Chairholder in Political Science and International Relations on December 11, 2017. He is an adviser and member of the Multi-Sector Advisory Group (MSAB) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Civil Relations Service (AFP-CRS).
He edited Islam in International Relations: Politics and Paradigms (with Raffaele Mauriello and Deina Abdelkader, 2019), Islam and International Relations: Contributions to Theory and Practice (with Deina Abdelkader and Raffaele Mauriello, 2016), and International Relations and Islam: Diverse Perspectives (2013). His articles appeared in Islamic Perspective Journal (2015), Journal of Islamic State Practices in International Law (2013), The Quarterly Journal of Political Studies of Islamic World (2012), and Alternatives: Turkish Journal of International Relations (2009).
Nassef is presently serving, and has served, as reviewer for The Journal of Humanity and Society (2018), Foreign Policy Analysis (2017), Millennium: Journal of International Studies (2017), Palgrave Macmillan (2017), GEOPOLITICA (2016), Global Studies Journal (2012-2018), including Philippine-based journals such as The Mabini Review (2016), IQRA: The Journal of Al-Qalam Institute of Islamic Identities and Dialogue in Southeast Asia (2017), and Lux Veritatis: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies (2017).
He obtained his PhD in International Relations (as EMMA scholar or EU’s Erasmus Mundus Mobility with Asia scholarship, and as TÜBİTAK fellow or The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey’s fellowship), Master in International Studies (as UP Presidential scholar and Willy Keng scholar), and BA in International Studies (as UE University President scholar, UE University scholar, UE college scholar, and Quezon City government scholar in various semesters) from the Middle East Technical University (Ankara, Turkey), University of the Philippines Diliman, and University of the East (Manila, Philippines), respectively.
Nassef earned the following certificates:
– UP Teaching Effectiveness Course (Institute for Small Scale Industries, UP Diliman, June 4-8, 2018)
– ASEAN Young Scholars workshop and international conference on ASEAN Studies (Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 11-22, 2016)
– Global Minority Rights summer school of the Tom Lantos Institute (National University of Public Service, Budapest, Hungary, July 19-25, 2015)
– Summer School on ‘Borders, Borderthinking, Borderlands’ where paper on Territoriality in Islam is presented (Universität Bremen, Germany, May 15-26, 2015)
– ISA Foreign Policy Analysis working group on “Foreign Policy Analysis and the Diplomacy of Sub-State Actors” Convention (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, February 17-20, 2015)
– UNILU Network of Transnational Doctoral Research for the “Law and Culture Training Programme” (University of Lucerne, Switzerland, November 14-15, 2014)
– 1st International Institute of Islamic Thought summer school on “Muslim Societies: Contemporary and Future Challenges” (Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, September 06-20, 2014)
– 2nd International ILEM summer school on “The State and Society in Muslim World” (İstanbul 29 Mayıs University, Turkey, August 23-29, 2014)
– 7th Istanbul Seminar on “The Sources of Pluralism: Metaphysics, Epistemology, Law, and Politics” (Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey, May 15-20, 2014)
– 1st International ILEM summer school on the “Transformation of Muslim World in the 21st Century” (İstanbul 29 Mayıs University, Turkey, August 24-30, 2013).
– Five ECTS of PhD course on “Politics, State, and Society: Theoretical Reflections in a Historical Context” (University of Copenhagen, Roskilde, Denmark, December 10-14, 2012)
– 11th International Summer School on “Muslims in the West;” presented on Muslim societies in Bosnia and Herzegovina (University of Erfurt, Germany, August 1-15, 2012)
– 2nd International Model of Organization of the Islamic Cooperation sponsored by ICYF-DC, Turkey’s Foreign Affairs, Tatarstan’s Youth and Tourism Ministry, & Center for Civilization Studies and Dialogue of Cultures (Kazan in Tatarstan, Russia, July 4-10, 2012)
– Five ECTS of PhD course entitled “Is Public Sphere Exclusively a Nation-State Phenomenon?” (Sabancı University, Istanbul, Turkey, July 18-22, 2011)
– 20th Institute of International Relations seminar on “History and Philosophy of International Relations” (Panteion University of Athens, Greece, June 29-July 4, 2011)
Nassef is an avid fan of Mariah Carey‘s vocal prowess and musical artistry.